Monday, 1 April 2013

Fabric fun...

...with a few projects using StampinUp's lovely fat quarters of cotton that I have been dying to have a go with.

1) First up, this is a design Jen-down-the-road has come up with for her church craft group:


this is not an instant project, it took me about two hours, but I love the result.  I think I could do it quicker if I had completed the first tasks you should always do at the beginning of a project: clear away other unfinished projects and assemble everything you need in ONE place.  Instead I must have gone up and down the stairs at least 10 times from one cluttered craft space to another.  Hmmm, lesson learned (maybe).

2) Second, a table top bin.


At the same time as project 1, I made a second bucket, but put both ends of the handle on the same side and added a beanbag full of rice to create a table top bin. I've wanted one of these for ages.  Both these projects and the next use Stampin Up's fabric "Summer Smooches" (125411), and some other scraps I had lying around.  The dotty lining is retired SU fabric too.

3) Third, a dinky pin-cushion


This came to me at nearly midnight last night, and in a moment of madness, (that all crafters will nevertheless understand!) I decided to do it there and then.  I finished at twenty to two, reader.  What a chump!  It's made from just 8 little paper pieced hexagons, aren't those buttons cute?  I stuffed some lavender as well so it smells lovely.

4) Another little notebook cover:



This uses fabrics from two different collections from the spring catalogue: the embellishment is cut freehand from one of the "More Amore" bundle (129307), the quilted cover from "Tea for Two" (129308).  Love that soft natural trim tape too! I have one place left on a class where you can make one of these on Monday 15th April 11:30-1.


There are lots more lovely fabric projects at this week's (and every week's) Linky party over at Marelize's, why not hop over there and check them out. Here's a taste of her beautiful work, I'm just in awe of the crisp precision she achieves...



I also have one more project to show you but I'm going to put it in the next post.  See you there!!

5 comments:

  1. Wow these are all gorgeous Helen! I just got a sewing machine so I may have a go at something soon... :)
    Lizy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lizy! The notebook covers are probably the best starter project, the bucket bags are a bit fiddly, especially joining the base to the bucket. I hope you enjoy your new machine!

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh - you are making me want to take a sewing class so that I can do more than sew crooked lines on paper and fabric!!!!! I love all of the projects! You are continually inspiring me!!!! And thanks for the journal idea for my clutter project ;) Love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen- these are just gorgeous- & I'm so with you on the whole stay up and finish thing- And I regret it the next morning although am secretly pleased I've got something half lovely to show for it. You're a talented sewer & I LOVE the table top bin- what a fab design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all amazing Helen and what gorgeous fabrics! The bin is superb - I think we all need one of those! - and I love the sweet pin cushion with that pretty button and the notebook cover in those lovely calm colours. You are a sewing genius! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Please feel free to link to your own related projects, Helen x.