Sunday, 3 March 2013

Crafting so much...

...I haven't had time to blog!  Here's another project that I did a couple of weeks ago with my Monday craft group.  I saw a shabby chic style lavender garland at a craft show, and decided to make one of my own; I love how this has come out, the effect is just as I had hoped.  Hope you like it; if you would like to make one and in the area, why not have a crafty evening with some friends, either at mine or yours - just get in touch!


And a couple of details.  In this shot, I can see some grey lace from a skirt my daughter threw out, a piece of one of my husband's old shirts, a bit of an old top of mine that was never quite right and some actual new gingham ribbon.



The garland at the craft show used soap hearts, but I couldn't find any at short notice, so made some with homemade clay, then scented them with essential oil instead.  The recipe for the clay is really simple:  1/4 cup corn flour, 1/2 cup bicarbonate of soda, 1/3 cup cold water.  You just cook it over a low heat, let it cool covered in cling film, then roll it out, stamp an imprint on it if you want, cut into shapes, and bake it on a low heat for about an hour, turning half way through.   I like the ones with the lavender mixed in best. 

I plaited Poundland cotton string to make the rope, and cut up various scraps of material into strips about 4cm x 15cm, along with ribbons, to knot around the rope.

2 comments:

  1. I can almost smell the lavender, Helen! What a lovely idea. Love your rainbow card from the last post too.

    Thanks for popping by my blog and commenting.

    Julie :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful garland Helen - it would make a gorgeous gift! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Please feel free to link to your own related projects, Helen x.